Bed bugs are small, wingless insects that feed exclusively on human blood, usually at night. Bedbugs are menacing pests that cause discomfort to human beings and lead to severe itching, allergies and skin infections. They hide during the day time inside mattress seams, box springs, bed frames, headboards, in cracks and crevices of walls, floors and furniture and come out at night to attack.
Their infestation can take place anywhere, in residential as well as in commercial establishments. It can occur in the bedroom and may spread rapidly to the other parts of the house, putting you and your family at risk. It becomes very difficult to locate and control them due to their small size. In such a situation, you need to hire bed bugs control service for your property immediately. Getting rid of a bed bug infestation is not easy, but there are certain steps that you can take to control the problem.
Identifying bed bug infestation:
- A common indicator of bed bug infestation is the presence of red spots or stains on bed sheets. These spots or stains are caused by bed bugs being crushed.
- You can also spot dark stains on the walls or other common hiding spots which are due to their excrement.
- A, musty odour from the bed bug scent glands is also an indicator of their presence.
How to control bed bugs:
- Insecticides are an important part of bed bug control as it is common for individual bed bugs to move away from the main infestation site to other sites.
- Make sure not to leave any gaps in the common hiding spots of the bed bugs to hide.
- Use the vacuum around baseboards, electronic items such as televisions, stereos and any other likely hiding places, such as beds, couches, bed frames. If you spot any signs of infestation while vacuuming, then immediately empty the contents /place the items into a plastic bag, seal and throw away.
- Dry heat treatment is also an effective method of controlling bed bugs. Disinfestations of blankets, bedding and mattresses may be carried out by putting them through the highest setting in the tumble dryer for at least 30mins.
Bed bugs are tiny parasites that seek out sleeping people for a blood meal. While there are many things that we can do to prevent a bed bug infestation and help in controlling the situation, getting a professional involved to treat the problem is the best solution and it also helps in preventing any further infestation.
Visit a pest control professional website or their company related blogs to learn more about how to control bed bug infestations and tips to keep them at bay!